Resident Evil 4 Remake was obviously the biggest new launch last week, and not only has the survival horror title enjoyed widespread critical acclaim from critics and audiences alike, it’s also enjoyed incredible sales right out the gate, selling over 3 million units worldwide within just two days of its release . Unsurprisingly, then, it has enjoyed a solid debut in Japan as well, as revealed courtesy of Famitsu’s latest weekly charts for hardware and physical software sales in the region.
The remake has debuted on top of the charts, occupying both first and second place, with the PS5 version taking the top spot with over 89,000 units sold, and the PS4 version slotting in at No. 2 with over 85,000 units sold. Collectively across both platforms, the game sold over 175,000 units at launch in Japan. That’s better than what Resident Evil Village managed in the region upon release (nearly 150,000 units), but less than what 2019’s Resident Evil 2 remake (over 252,000 units) and 2020’s Resident Evil 3 remake (nearly 190,000 units) sold upon launch in Japan.
Another new release last week was Koei Tecmo’s RPG Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End and the Secret Key, and it, too, has seen a solid Japanese launch. It occupies three places in the top 10, with the Nintendo Switch version debuting at No. 3 (over 31,000 units sold), the PS4 version coming in at No. 5 (over 17,000 units), and the PS5 version taking seventh place (over 14,000 units). Collectively, the game sold over 63,000 units at launch, which is slightly lower than the launch sales of its two predecessors (roughly 79,000 units and 74,000 units respectively).
On the hardware front, the Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console of the week, outselling the PS5 by a considerable margin for the second week running (though the PS5 has certainly been coming out on top most weeks this year). The Switch sold over 53,000 units, while the PS5 sold over 38,000 units.
You can check out the full hardware and physical software sales charts for the week ending March 26 below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales):
- [PS5] Resident Evil 4 – 89,662 (New)
- [PS4] Resident Evil 4 – 85.371 (New)
- [NSW] Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End and the Secret Key – 31,140 (New)
- [NSW] Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe – 27.198 (336.143)
- [PS4] Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End and the Secret Key – 17,240 (New)
- [NSW] pokemon scarlet and Purple – 15,044 (4,959,637)
- [PS5] Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End and the Secret Key – 14,787 (New)
- [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 12,146 (3,958,873)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 10,781 (5,214,116)
- [NSW] Minecraft – 8,317 (3,083,009)
- Nintendo Switch- 53,781
- PS5- 38,964
- Xbox Series X/S – 583