If you’ve ever had the dream of squashing the large bugs from the Starship Troopers movie – then Starship Troopers: Extermination is the perfect game for you. While this is, at its core, a horde shooter – there is a level of strategy to how you plan to earn victory and level up your classes. We’ve got some Starship Troopers: Extermination Tips and Tricks to help you win below!
Personally, I’m having a great time playing this game and so long as you follow my tips below – you’ll get along great with your teammates and have smooth deployments!
Starship Troopers: Extermination Starter Tips
The core of the game is simple – advance with your team of 15 other players, and complete objectives until you’re able to extract, in two current game modes:
- AAS Game Mode – Complete a few checkpointed objectives, and then build and defend your base. You’ll collect resources to spawn new mobile bases, until you head into the compound to defend an ARC Scanner. You’ll have max resources to utilize, and this mode is shorter to play through, and requires less team coordination than ARC.
- ARC Game Mode – This mode is like AAS but you’re going straight to building the base. You’ll collect Gas to power up the ARC Scanner, and Ore to build your base. This requires strong team coordination to ensure no one powers up the ARC Scanner before you have a base built up around it.
Picking Your Class
There are 3 classes available in the game to choose from: Hunter, Bastion, and Operator, each with their own focus in-game:
- Hunter: Built for quick movement and taking down bugs. With a wide arsenal of weaponry, and ability to drop ammo restocks for your teammates, this class is great for advancing towards objectives or tearing down groups of bugs.
- Bastion: Built for defense, allowing you to drop a shield around you for additional weapon stability and protection from bugs, allowing you to mow through the bugs storming the objectives or compounds.
- Operator: The main support for the team, able to heal nearby teammates, quickly revive in an area, and add a perk that speeds up building times. At level 20, you’ll also get a mobile healing station you can put down for teammates.
Tips for Leveling
To open up more of the classes’ loadouts, you’ll need to level your class(es) by playing through the game modes outlined above. You’ll gain points for:
- Killing Bugs (the larger, the more points)
- Completing Secondary Objectives
- Supporting Your team (Healing, Reviving, Supplying)
- Winning the game
Starship Troopers: Extermination Building Tips
Building an effective base is the key to surviving the waves of bugs that want to take out your ARC Scanner, and there are a few key tips to building an effective base without wasting resources, or time.
- Keep the base small – creating a sprawling base is harder to defend than a well-crafted base with a few layers around the ARC Scanner.
- Bunkers are extremely strong and are great for plugging holes in corners and entries. You CAN climb over them. You only get 4, so use them effectively.
- Minigun placement is critical – don’t put them on the outside wall, in case it gets swarmed, and don’t put them all in one place.
- You can deconstruct using Place + Right Click.
- Ensure you build the electrified walls around the ARC Scanner – if bugs get close this will help prevent them from breaking through too fast while you take them down.
- Between waves, make sure you’re repairing walls and turrets – you can repair the ARC Scanner if it takes damage.
- Coordinate with your teammates – don’t build just to build, and don’t waste resources.
Starship Troopers: Extermination Tips For Victory in ARC Mode
The ARC Gameplay mode is much more challenging than the base AAS mode – the game doesn’t lead you through the collection of resources, and coordination is CRITICAL to victory. There’s 4 phases to this game mode:
- Phase 1: Initialization of the Base
- Phase 2: Resource Collection
- Tip: Wait to collect all 8 Gas Canisters
- Stage 3: Base Defense
- Tip: See base building tips above
- Stage 4: Extraction
Resource Collection Tips
Collecting Ore from Refineries is critical to building an effective base. There are two places you can collect ore, and both can collect 8,000 Ore in total before they go on Cooldown for 5 Minutes. Some tips:
- Move with a team to build, start, and collect the canisters. STICK TOGETHER.
- You must restart the refinery with each canister that gets filled, and repair it if damaged.
- Wait until all 4 have completed before picking them up, then move as a group.
- Operators can carry Two Canisters at once, allowing 2 operators to carry all 4. Operators can just switch weapon after picking one up to put it in their back canister slot.
At minimum, you’ll want to collect around 40-60,000 ore to build a strong enough base with 4 bunkers, 4 turrets, and enough walls to plug holes. If you place all 8 gas canisters into the ARC Scanner too soon, you’ll kick of Phase 3 before your base is ready to be defensible.
Side Objectives Make Victory Easier
As you make your way through Phase 2 – some additional missions will open periodically that will help your team have a little bit of an easier time.
- Additional Resource Missions – Periodically there will be some “additional resources” that are found, which can be either Ore Canisters, or Gas Canisters. This is worth checking out, because if it’s ore – it’s an easy 4,000 to take back for your base.
- High Priority Target Missions – When Arachnid Target missions pop up, you’ll need to head over and take out groups of bugs. Doing so will reduce the overall arachnid threat, helping reduce the deadliness of the swarms that attack your base.
- Field Objectives – Completing field Objectives will net your team 2 Rocket Launchers that can be equipped and used. You can get more ammo for them at ammo stations, and until you die you’ll keep it, so make sure you equip it in your secondary slot.
Defending the Base
Once you’ve built the base, and delivered all 8 canisters, then the Arachnids will attack. Your goal is to survive until the ARC Scanner finishes scanning, so a solid base combined with good teamwork is necessary to win.
- If a wall goes down, quickly repair it – you do not have to re-place it.
- Stagger ammo stations around the base for easy access.
- If Grenadiers spawn and start bombing the base, take them out immediately – once they “open up” a single rocket can take them down.
- Focus on Tiger Bugs before anything else.
- Pick up any teammates you can if they go down, but don’t sacrifice yourself to pick them up.
- Communicate where the bugs are attacking, or where you see a Grenadier coming from.
If you played your cards right and survive the onslaught – it’s time to extract.
Extracting and Completing the Mission
With the Scan complete, you’ll want to hurry to the extraction point and get off the planet. While this is really just a run, the number of people who extract impacts your XP gain.
Everyone should move together, and Operators should keep their AoE Revive handy.
- To extract, everyone has to be IN the ship – the ramp does not count.
- While you wait for people to get to the ship, it’s a great time to rack up a bit more XP.
- Only 1 person has to extract to win – if your team gets wiped, you only need 1!
With all of the Starship Troopers: Extermination tips above, you should be ready to squash the bugs, and complete your mission. If there’s any tips I missed, sound off in the comments below!