The Romance of the Three Kingdoms is considered a pillar of Chinese and East Asian literature, and one of the key reasons is due to a compelling cast of characters. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty tries a particular twist, one that follows narrative beats, yet set during the rise of demonic infestation. As such, you’ll be able to buddy up with various fighters. Here’s our Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty companions guide to help you with various heroes and the Oath Level system.
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty – How the companion system works
At the start of Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty‘s campaign, you’re aided by the Blindfolded Boy. However, it’s the second mission, Two Chivalrous Heroes, where you’ll gain access to the companion system proper. Here’s how it works:
- Each mission allows you to bring up two heroes. Some might not be available for certain quests due to storyline restrictions.
- Interact with any Battle Flag and go to the Reinforcements tab. You’ll notice a list of characters that are able to join you.
- To summon a hero, you’ll use an item called a Tiger Seal. This can be found as a normal loot in the game world, or dropped by an NPC invader.
- Heroes will automatically attack nearby hostiles. However, you can delegate controls by locking on a target, then pressing R1/RB + up or down on the d-pad depending on the hero. This will cause them to use their special ability.
- Sadly, companions tend to have absolutely no sense of self-preservation. Despite offering a tempting distraction for enemies, they’d still jump into the fray without a care in the world, causing them to take a lot of damage. If incapacitated, you can press R2/RT near a companion to heal them. If their bar is depleted without a revive, they’ll end up retreating.
- Battle Flags and Marking Flags fully heal companions. However, only Battle Flags are able to resummon them if they retreated beforehand.
List of available hero companions in Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
These are the Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty companions that will be unlocked throughout the course of the campaign. Again, some might not be available depending on the mission:
- Zhao Yun
- Guan Yu
- Zhang Fei
- Liu Bei
- Sun Jian
- Hong Jing
- Cao Cao
- Sun Ce
- Huang Gai
- Cheng Pu
- Xiahou Yuan
- Xiahou Dun
- Xun Yu
- Zhang Liao
How to increase Oath Levels and become best buds
Last but not least, we also have to talk about the Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty companion Oath Level system. As you defeat more foes, your active companion/s will increase in level. The goal is to reach Oath Level 10, which will make them your Sword Brother/Sister. Likewise, doing this rewards you with that hero’s unique armor set and weapon. You may also use a rare item known as the Cup of Cordiality, which provides a lot of Oath XP.